So this week is my 3rd week on the floor. Last week I was at nursing orientation for the 3rd time ever. BUUUUT it will be the last time! :)
This week was pretty busy! Monday I had 3 patients...started with 2, discharged one to the floor, admitted one from the OR. Tuesday I had a guy with CRI, Chronic Afib, and a sick heart. He didn't look that good and was on so many drips. Most of my day was spent titrating his Amio, Dobutamine, Lasix, Insulin, Nipride, and Epi gtts. I also spent the day shooting cardiac outputs and indexes. I had to attend a family meeting with his wife and daughter to discuss the plan of care and what measures they wanted to take if he were to take a turn for the worse. It was very emotional. I come in today and have the same patient and he's only on Dobutamine, alert and talking, and looks like a different man. His family told me that I fixed him. haha He's going to have an ablation done to try and fix his Afib. I'll be at work, but I'll be doing my ECCO class all day. I will make sure to drop by his room and see how he's doing.
My other patient on Tuesday and today was an ETOH withdrawal guy with rhabdomyolysis. He also had compartment syndrome in his left leg and had a fasciotomy done. He also had renal failure and was hypotensive, so I was titrating his vassopressin gtt while he was getting hemodialysis done. I discharged him today to the IICU. I was looking for Kelly (mine & Mary's clinical instructor from Sem 5), but she wasn't there. :(
So now here I am. I'm going to go back to reading about PA catheters and doing PA dialstolic and pulmonary artery wedge pressures now. It'll tie in to my ECCO class tomorrow since I'm doing cardiovascular stuff.
Mary, Caroline...updates please! :)
3 comments:
whew! you make it sound so easy! Not for me! Congrats on doing a great job! Nurse Tricia!
believe me...it's not easy! i'm still trying to get the hang of things!
What a great nurse you are!! I understood only a small fraction of all that stuff =)
Post a Comment