Thursday, July 24, 2008

Sorry for the lack of writing! I've been working 5 of the 6 past days! 12 hours, too! I'm exhausted. I'm sooo looking forward to a nice 4 day weekend.

Work is great...I am now taking care of level 3 ICU patients: Vented and hemodynamically unstable. I had two patients that pretty much seemed like mirrors of each other. Vented, ARDS, hypotensive and on pressors. One had an anastomotic leak and multiple drains draining stool and pus. Yum, I know. The other guy was admitted for management of a grand mal seizure with possible aspiration pneumonia. So now I'm getting really good at titrating drips, especially Dopamine, Levophed (Norepi), Fentanyl & Versed. My days consisted of lots of suctioning *BLEH* and learning what exactly those vent settings mean. Still couldn't tell you much. haha. But I do feel like I have grown so much in the past couple of days because I've been doing so much.

...I got the ultimate compliment from one of my preceptors today. She said she was amazed I was still a student. She says I have the confidence of a nurse with at least 2 years experience. I told her thank you but I don't feel like that! But I'll gladly take the compliment! It was definitely an honor to hear that.

Oh and I hate 1st year medicine interns. They're annoying. Okay I'm done. =)

2 comments:

LG said...

Hey Trish -long time no talk, but i wanted to ask 1. how long did it take you to get where you are in nursing? 2. was it expensive? 3. is it worth it?!

thanks

Caroline said...

nuts i tell you! i'm so glad i got to see you yesterday =) i've missed you! when i'm done with school, but before you go back to school, we should all do a beach day. i'll bring my cake =)